Yukon First Nation Education Directorate
Posted On: Jan 12, 2023
Advertised Until: Jan 26, 2023
Wage: Salary range starts at $81,579
Availability: Full Time
Location: Whitehorse, YT
The Trades Navigator supports Indigenous students to pursue a career in the trades.
There are many opportunities to experience what the trades are, and what a career path in the trades could look like. This position will work with industry, our analysts, and other alliances to develop a program model to enable exploration, apprenticeship opportunities and mentorship in the trades for Indigenous students.
You will have a keen passion and experience with the trades. You have to enjoy working with youth. The position requires you to work to coach students and facilitate barrier reduction strategies that will empower and guide them to meet their educational and employment goals.
- Trades certification (e.g.: journeyperson or red seal designated carpenter, electrician, oil burner mechanic) and progressive considerable work experience in the trade;
- Successful experience mentoring and leading students, apprentices or trainees;
- Project planning and coordination experience including research skills & abilities;
- Experience facilitating and leading meetings, sessions or workshops;
- Experience collaborating with partners and colleagues, such as community, contractors, industry, government and education institutions to support programming needs and design methods and recommendations.
- Knowledge of Yukon high school graduation requirements, post-secondary academic programs, admission and registration processes, and academic regulations related to attendance is required for success.
Conditions of employment/job requirements:
Journeyperson or red seal designation, proof of designation (in good standing if applicable to the industry) is necessary
This position requires flexible work arrangements, including occasional evening and weekend work.
Travel is necessary and work takes place in varying locations, at YFNED, in school, industry jobsites, and various other sites.